Saturday, July 6, 2019

Chapter Twenty Seven

Aboard on their plane with their new purchase, the couple buckled in and waited for the plane to take off. Once they were airborne, Arnav brought out the Hermés bag and Khushi looked at it in confusion.

"I'll put this in my carry on " Arnav said, retrieving the small orange box containing his watch and putting it in his duffel bag. "And this," he said, retriving a big orange box from the bag, "is for you."

Khushi stared at the box wide-eyed, her jaw unhinged. She was in complete shock, unable to break her gaze away from the box.

"I know Bhabi has tried on multiple occasions to get you to go shopping with her, or like figure out what you like to get you something, but on my insistence, I had her stop. I wanted to personally get something for you, but given the crazy workload we had going on, I wasn't able to before. But given that I had the perfect opportunity earlier, I just couldn't pass it up."

Khushi looked up at Arnav, still in shock.

"The watch was just an excuse, I already knew I was going to get it. I just needed to get a not-so-suspicious way of buying what I wanted for you."

Khushi only continued to stare at him in shock and Arnav found her actions rather humorous and entertaining.

"Earth to Khushi," Arnav grinned.

He waved his hand in front of her, bringing Khushi out of her daze. She looked back down at the orange box, before looking back up at Arnav.

"I, uh- I mean, uh... I- this- it's... uh...."

Arnav tried hard not to grin, but he just couldn't help it. "Here, let me open it for you."

Arnav opened the box, retrieving a tote and opening it, revealing a black 40 Birkin purse with gold hardware. Once again, Khushi's eyes widened at the sight of it, almost ready to pop out.

"I wanted to get a yellow one, but they didn't have one available in the store, so I went with the black since it goes with everything. But I'm sure in Paris we'll get one, the associate said she'd reach out to the locations there and ask them to reserve some."

Khushi gaped at Arnav. "I- this- I mean," she squeaked.

Again, Arnav was humored. "Do you like it?"

"I...." Khushi let out a sigh. "This is too much," she said softly.

Arnav looked at her in confusion.

"It's beautiful, it truly is, but.... Arnav, I'm not used to these things - these designer brands and their things, I just.... I don't deserve this."

Arnav's eyebrows immediately met in the middle. "What do you mean you don't deserve this? Of course you do."

"Arnav, I..." and she sighed, looking down.

"Look, I get it that this kind of stuff isn't what you're used to," he said softly. "But you're my wife. We've been married a little over six months and I haven't really given you much."

"You gave that beautiful sari," Khushi nearly whispered.

"I did, but that was about it. But you deserve so much more than a sari. And you know what, given that we've been married for six months, consider this a half-anniversary present."

Khushi's eyes widened. "If this is for half, I'm afraid of what you'll do for the full one."

Arnav couldn't help but to smile, but that only scared Khushi - after all he did just get her a freaking Birkin!

He held the bag out to her. "Take it, please, it'll make me very happy."

"I-"

Khushi looked down at the bag and then at Arnav. She could see how happy he was from getting her this gift and giving it to her, which only made it harder for Khushi. But as she didn't want to upset Arnav. She sucked it up and took the bag in her hands. Arnav smiled at her as he handed it to her and Khushi placed the bag in her lap. Again, it seemed as if the bag were burning her, but seeing how happy Arnav was, Khushi tried not to feel that way.

Still, inwardly, Khushi was screaming.

*~*

Paris being beautiful was a complete understatement! When they landed, they were picked up by their chauffeur, and he drove them through the streets of Paris to their hotel, Khushi gazing away at the city in wonder.

They were quickly checked in and led up to their suite, and once again, Khushi was lost in daze. Upon entry to the suite was the living room, large windows taking up one side, allowing sunlight to pour into the room, enhancing the rosy-white color of the room. The kitchen was off to the right, and there was a study as well, with it's own balcony. Their massive bedroom was to the left, further stunning Khushi, and she made her way to the balcony, the view of Paris somewhat calming her.

Khushi peeked back inside and saw the bellhop place their bags down and Arnav tipped him. She turned her attention back to the city and took in a deep breath.

This is... this- I mean, this really is... wow!

And it wasn't just the view of the Eiffel Tower that was making her think this way. Everything from the moment they had left home and arrived to the airport, up until now, was truly getting to her.

I know I should be accustomed to their wealth by now, but... this is the first time so much has been spent just for me. I've never asked and have avoided it all these months but in just the span of, what, a day? In a day, I got so much!

Khushi looked down at her purse, which she was gripping onto with her life, in fear of it falling. She thought of her experience in the airport lounge, as well as the plane itself.

I can't let this continue to affect me, just push it aside! Push the thoughts aside! I'm in Paris on my honeymoon- honeymoon?!

For some reason, the idea of the honeymoon had passed over Khushi's head. Yes she knew that that was the reason why they were here, but only now was it really clicking in her head.

Arnav came out to the balcony and stood by her. "Oh wow, you can see the Eiffel Tower from here."

Khushi only nodded, glancing up at Arnav.

Their relationship had improved so much over the past few months, it obviously taking a turn for the better when they had visited her parents. But Khushi couldn't help but to wonder if they had really reached that point where they could properly spend time on their honeymoon, if you get what I mean. Yes, she was in love with her husband, but she didn't know if Arnav loved her in return.

How could he love me? Not with this face, not when he knows someone as beautiful as Sheetal....

Khushi's tight grip tightened even more. Arnav noticed this from the corner of his eyes and looked at her.

"You okay," he asked.

Khushi snapped out of her thoughts and looked up at Arnav. "I'm fine..."

But for some reason, Arnav didn't believe it. He had noticed the hint of sadness in her eyes, but he wondered why she was lying to him.

"...I'm just paranoid over this bag."

Arnav nodded, but he didn't buy it. He understood why she would feel paranoid over the bag, she wasn't used to it. But that was no reason for that hint of sorrow to be in her eyes.

What was that about?

No comments:

Post a Comment